Boat to Boardroom
Based on their books ‘Boat to Boardroom’ and ‘The 7 Racing Rules’, the workshop follows the exploits of a team in the Global Challenge Around the World Yacht Race (a race both Paula and Alex were involved in). The workshop includes a powerful analogy of the similarities of running a business and a sailing team – all in the same boat, the need for good leadership, everyone working together, motivation, resilience, crisis management etc. and an introduction to The 7 Racing Rules – 7 top tips on how to win in business and life.
The workshop is hands on with Alex and Paula telling their story and stopping at critical moments in their actual race when it is up to the attendees to discuss what is happening (re the leadership of the team) in that particular circumstance/crisis/situation and how they should react. Each scenario is debriefed, and the learnings taken away from it. The story then continues to the next scenario. A typical session will have 3 scenarios.
They cover a whole range of different situations relating to different aspects of business such as:
- Crisis management
- Silo mentality
- Dealing with poor performance
At the end of the session, attendees will go away with a tool kit to help them to deal with different situations at work, as well as hearing an inspirational and motivating story from two people who went through it first-hand.
Living Life to the Full (retreat)
Achieving your Personal Vision and Goals, OR How to Live Life to the Full with No Regrets!
A thought-provoking, focusing, personal and stimulating interactive workshop from someone who has achieved 117 things on their Live Life to the Full list (so far), including skiing full distance to the South Pole, yacht racing around the world, cycling across ten countries, zorbing, bog snorkelling, paddling the Mekong, Inca trail, swimming with dolphins, husky sledding, walking across England, writing books… and so much more.
Aims of workshop:
- Time out for reflection and review for self-development, fulfilment and motivation
- Opportunity to work on personal vision, aspirations, goals, priorities, motivations and actions
- Provoke attendees into thinking more deeply and sharply about their personal goals and aspirations
- Review / opportunity to redress balance of personal and work life
- Create a bucket list
- Ultimately, to create a better life
- Personal vision, mission, values and goals
- ONE MASSIVE GOAL! (OMG!) action plan
- Live Life to the Full (Bucket) List
A typical session runs as follows:
- Pre-Retreat – all members are sent a personal vision questionnaire to complete in their own time and bring with them (or this can be done in the morning of an afternoon retreat)
- Paula sets the context, explaining her personal philosophy and experience in achieving her own vision and goals
- Paula’s ‘Living Life to the Full’ list and South Pole talk if time
- Personal vision session
- Personal motivations session
- Personal OMG session including 12-step goals
- Coaching in pairs
- Personal criteria for success
- Co-creation of personal/group ‘bucket lists’
- Prioritise actions
- Summary / review
Adventure Psychology: Going Knowingly into the Unknown™
Paula combines business intelligence with adventure experience and a Masters in Positive Psychology to help leaders and organisations survive and thrive in today's uncertain and challenging times.
In July 2018 she graduated with an MSc Distinction in Positive Psychology and her dissertation researched the benefits of Adventuring. Paula has now launched Adventure Psychology: Going Knowingly into the Unknown™ as a new discipline. Most people will be familiar with Sports Psychology which is about peak performance in fixed conditions. In comparison, Adventure Psychology is more relevant to today’s world, focusing on adaptation and enduring performance in challenging and uncertain conditions.
We need to adapt as the world changes around us; survival of the 'fittest', is actually survival of those better equipped for surviving. This includes acclimatising, learning, and improving performance to enhance evolution fitness. Adventure Psychology is about adapting to survive (cope) and then thrive (optimum flourishing and functioning) in today's volatile, uncertain, complex and ambiguous times.
We need to go 'Knowingly into the Unknown™' to develop wisdom, resilience and growth.
This topic is new and relevant to today’s VUCA leadership, covering:
- Adaptation – surviving and thriving in the fast-changing world
- Positivity & grit
- The mindset
- The language
- Going knowingly – choosing, preparing, anticipatory thinking
- Into the Unknown – coping, agility, curiosity, dealing with VUCA
The value is in the mindset, creating an ‘adventure advantage’. Outcomes and takeaways include:
- A new perspective
- How we should lead in a VUCA world
- Handbook and tools
This workshop is also suitable for a retreat setting.
Updated December 2018.